Hey yo!! Hope all are doing well on the eliminate-crap-from-your-life diet:) Its only week 2 into January. Do you know a lot of people have already given up on their resolutions?? Not YOU though! You are gonna show 2013 a thing or two!
Here are some recipes I have missed but are approved for challenge.
Spicy Shrimp Fra Diavolo and Zucchini “Pasta”
- 15-20 frozen shrimp
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 T pesto
- 1/2 T minced garlic
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 C sauce (or more)
- 1/3 fresh grated parm
- pinch of salt
- pinch of fresh or dry Italian herbs
Use a julienne knife to cut zucchini pasta, set aside. Heat olive oil and garlic in saute pan. Add remaining ingredients to pan with the exception of julienne zucchini. Heat for about 10 min on med heat for flavors to combine. Add zucchini, cook additional 3-4 min, do not over cook zucchini you want it to be al dente. Serve topped w/additional fresh parm cheese.
Sundried Tomato Shrimp Salad
Shrimp is a great go to for an EASY meal, since they are already cooked, all you need to do is create a sauce around it. Last night I mixed them in some sundried tomato pesto, lemon, red pepper and parm cheese. Broiled in the oven for about 5 minutes. Tossed on a salad w/ my balsamic mushrooms and some roasted sweet potatoes. I LOVE roasted sweet potatoes on my salad! Makes it more of a meal. Quick and easy dinner!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 large Turkey sausage (out of case)
- 2 teaspoons olive or corn oil
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño chili, seeded, minced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 cup sweet corn, frozen or fresh
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- All of the reserved cooked squash, about 4 cups
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Roast squash in a 375°F oven for 50 minutes until tender or cut squash in half and place in a microwave dish with 1/2 inch of water, lightly covered with plastic wrap for 20 minutes on high until tender. cool. When cool, scoop flesh from squash halves.
For the filling, heat oil in a large pan and sauté red onion, jalapeño chili and red pepper for 2 minutes. Add sausage, beans, corn and chili powder; sauté 1 minute longer. Add cooked squash, cilantro, lime juice and salt, cook 1 minute until heated through. Recipe called to stuff back in shells, but I just out mine in a bowl. You can make this with any meat OR w/out the meat at all, still so good and filling!
- Dry Rub: 2 Tablespoon garlic powder, 2 Tablespoon onion powder, 2 Tablespoon ground cumin, 2 Tablespoon ground coriander, 2 Tablespoon oregano, dried, 2 Tablespoon salt, 1 Tablespoon pepper, 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Large pork loin or Pork Butt, 8 oz jar salsa, 1 large yellow or white onion, cut into eighths
- Sauce: 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 3 cloves garlic, finely minced, ½ yellow onion, finely minced, 2 Tablespoon chili powder, 1 t salt, 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste, 2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard, 2 Tablespoon white or apple vinegar, ¼ cup honey, 2 Tablespoon molasses, 1 cup chicken stock
Place dry rub on Pork and let sit for 30 min. Then toss Pork and all other ingredients in pot. Let cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. Shred Pork w/ fork or hands, should come apart easy. Add any extra desired seasonings to taste. I served on Boston lettuce and paired with 1/2 sweet potato topped w/ shredded cheddar. YUM!
Chicken Burger w/ Sweet Potato Crisps
I got these gems from my friend Tina’s blog, but modified a bit.
Sweet Potato Crisps
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1/2 C liquid egg whites
- 1/2 Parmesan cheese
- 1 powdered garlic
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375. Grate 2 potatoes (small grate). Drain shredded potatoes WELL in a strainer, use hands if needed. Toss all ingredients in bowl and mix. Scoop a spoonful of potato mix onto greased wire rack. Bake for 25 minutes then place on top rack, broil on high 5 minutes or until extra crispy.
Snacks throughout the day included:
- carrots and hummus
- rice cake w/ peanut butter and strawberry jam
- almonds and strawberries
- few T of peanut butter w/ 1/2 mashed banana
- Late night popcorn
Breakfast today was some cereal. I haven’t purchased cereal in forever, but when I was looking for items for you girls to be able to eat, I got the craving! In the mix was Shredded Wheat, cinnamon, 1/2 banana, sliced strawberries, walnuts and a couple T of vanilla protein mixed in my almond milk. BOMB.
Hope these come in handy!