Oh hey hey! Happy fresh-month-friday! Yikes! I can’t believe we are already in February! You know that spring wear is already in the stores. Shut up. I know. I’m excited about this month because I have a lot of fun events coming up. My best friends baby shower, Mumford and Sons concert, a snowboarding get away with Mat, my beautiful nieces Christening, KFIT Paint Bar outing and let’s not forget Super Bowl!! Holy shyte..that’s a lot. It’s enough events for a 10-12lb weight gain. We often use events as an excuse to start eating well next month. If you have a wedding, baby shower and a funeral, that’s still only 3 days out of 31 you could be eating right. So I choose to plow through my social life while keeping healthy. And it ain’t easy! It requires a considerable amount of self-control. Sipping on 1 mimosa opposed to 7, passing on the cake (wahaha), creating “skinny”bowl food, adding an extra workout day. These small efforts amount to large sums. So don’t toss an entire day, or month away because of a 24 hour event.
I’m gonna just toss a bunch of recipes at ya. As you may notice, I now have a collage app. I know..so fancy it’s mind blowing. First up is some a fantastic chicken salad recipe. A viral sensation but mine is certainly the best, so good I ate it two days in a row.
Ingredients: 2 servings
- 1 large chicken breast
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 c minced red pepper
- 1/8 c minced red onion
- 1/4 c feta cheese
- a few sprigs of chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ~1 T cracked pepper (or more)
- 2 T Dijon mustard (or more)
- First boil the breast. You can bake it but I like to boil it for chicken salad, its quick and easy. Once done cut and let cool in fridge.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with the exception of the avocado, mustard and feta cheese. Divide ingredients into 2 bowls. Put one away for tomorrow.
- Add 1/2 portion of avocado, feta and mustard to bowl. Mix well. Put away remaining portion for tomorrow.
- Place in wrap of over salad and enjoy! Feel free to swap in/out veggies of choice. I really liked the touch of the red peppers and the mustard adds a little needed zing.
* If serving two just mix all ingredients together. I didn’t want my second days portion to be brown and gross so I waited to add the wet till before eating.
Ingredients: 4 servings
- 1lb lean ground turkey or chicken
- 4 big fat portabella mushrooms
- 1 Egg
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1/2 onion
- 1 fresh parm cheese
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 T garlic powder or minced garlic
- 1 T pepper
- 2 T Italian seasonings
- Feta or shredded mozzarella to top
- Chop zucchini, carrots and onions into small pieces. Can switch out veg, that’s just what I had.
- Take stem out of mushrooms (can chop and add to veg)
- Mix all ingredients (w/exception of caps)
- Pack meat on top of caps. Place on lightly greased pan.
- Bake at 375 for ~40 minutes. Take out, top w/ sauce and choice of cheese (feta or mozzarella). Bake until cheese has melted.
- Eat your heart out! Opt to stuff in red or green peppers if you don’t like mushrooms!
This dinner was already on the menu for the week when I saw them serving it on the Biggest Looser! Only I think mine looks better. Actually, it kind of looks like a pile of crap. But it certainly doesn’t taste like one. This is comfort food city people.
Ingredients-2 potatoes but enough pork to feed 6, so up the rest of ingredients for a crowd.
- porkloin ( I bought a pre-marinated peppercorn one)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 c corn
- 1/2 c black bean
- 1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese ( I used dairy free Daiya)
- 1/2 c greek yogurt and salsa (I’m obsessed w/ fresh salsa vs. jarred. It so frickin good!)
- * optional-Additional seasonings for pork- did not measure and is totally optional- would have been good with or without: dash cayenne garlic powder, cumin, thyme, liquid smoke, 2 T honey, 2 T tomato paste.
- Place loin (and seasonings) into crock pot. Cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Shred pork, add corn and black beans, mix well.
- Bake or nuke potato ( I nuked). Cut in half and mash a bit.
- Top w/ pork mix and cheese, bake or nuke till cheese melts. Serve yogurt and salsa on the side.
I had so much pork left over the next night we ate pork nachos. Not the cleanest dinner but SO DAMN good! And a great “skinny”bowl option!
What are your “skinny” bowl food plans!!