Hi my dear friends! Happy (almost) Thanksgiving!
I am beyond excited for Thanksgiving. I just love everything about the Holidays. And Turkey Day especially! This will be KFIT’s 3rd year running the Dreamcatcher Road Race in Weymouth together.
It’s definitely our biggest turn out for a road race, and what a great way to start your Thanksgiving. For us, it’s all about just getting
a good run mimosas in before we stuff our faces (and maybe a PR). Personally I don’t hold back on Turkey day. I read a lot about how to healthify your recipes and blah blah blah. I come from a family that cooks, and cooks well. With sugar and butter and cream and flour and all the stuff I typically avoid. But hey, it’s Thanksgiving! And since they are the ones doing the cooking, I’m sure as Hell not going to complain. So I just enjoy the day. I’ll eat a normal pre-run breakfast and a bunch of shrimp cocktail when I get home (a standard appetizer in our house). That will keep me from being ravenous and OD’ing on mashed come dinner. From there I just try to have a bunch of small portions of everything…and I do mean everything. Instead of a whole piece of pie its a sliver, small scoops of potatoes, stuffing, yams etc. So I don’t feel super gross. Then the key is getting back to normal eats the following day. It’s just as usual. I’ll definitely get a workout in too. That always gets me back on track quickly.
Anyway, I finally had a lot of success in the kitchen last week. Some really delicious meals were made and devoured. So here’s the first that is bound to make your taste buds do a little happy dance. This was so friggin good and easy that I am making it again (a Marsala version) tonight!
Chicken Picatta and Spaghetti Squash
Ingredients: serves 4
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast – cut in half, pounded thin
- 1 1/2 cups wheat, almond or coconut purpose flour
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter -get the good real butter not margarine crap
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (or olive)
- 1/2 T minced garlic
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (~1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 T Fresh parm cheese (extra to top with)
- 2 tbsp capers, rinsed or more
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley * optional
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge in the flour and shake off excess. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp olive oil and garlic over medium high heat. When it starts to sizzle, add two pieces of chicken. Cook approx. 3 minutes each side, until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on a pan, cook for an additional 10 minutes in over at 350 deg. Time depends on thickness.
- In the same skillet, add lemon juice, wine capers and broth. Return to stove and cook, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then add parm cheese and reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add chicken back to the pan to soak up some of the sauce.
- Plate chicken and spaghetti squash, then top with sauce from the pan. Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Ill be posting the next one next week! In the mean time be sure to try this!
And have a wonderful Holiday!!