HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS!!!! Twenty fourteen. It’s gonna be a good year! (Practicing the law of attraction here). The only thing that bums me out about a new years is thinking about how fast last year went by. And what a great fricking year it was. I loved everything about 2013. I bought a house, KFIT celebrated 2 years, I did a triathlon, Matt stuck around another year, and I became a mother to the most amazing little furball.
Man, its gonna be tough to beat 2013. Good thing I’m extremely competitive with myself. I definitely fell short of some goals I set in the gym for 2013. No 4 pack abs or muscle ups.
But That sure as heck doesn’t mean I wont get there. New year brings new goals. So I built a 2014 fitness bucket list. Because I love lists. Post it notes have no chance of survival in my house. This year I want to challenge myself, but I also want to enjoy every day/season/month of 2014. They go by too fast! I often tend to over commit. So this year I’m
going to try too not worry about PR’ing every road race or workout…just most of them:). And focus on some fun stuff too. So my list consists of cool wants and some goals that will take hard work. For me, I’m lucky because I own a gym and working out is pretty much my job, and I don’t have a tribe of kids or a husband or an ailing parent to cater to. So it’s eas(ier) to have all these crazy goals. But wouldn’t it be nice to set a few fitness goals for yourself this year? Or maybe one for your family, to do together. I agree, it would be.
2014 Fit List
1) Achieve Muscle Ups-strength/skill training
2) PR Iron Girl Triathlon (obviously)- swim and bike training
3) Hike Mount Washington: I’m hoping for a spring hike with YOU ladies! Maybe an overnight?? Actually I don’t care what Mountain it is as long as it’s a tough one:)
4)Try Paddle Boarding
5)Run a 5k with Matt
6) Yoga a minimum 1x/week
7) Crush a Spartan/Tough Mudder
8) PR the Harpoon 5 miler
This list makes me look forward to the year. And nice weather! But let’s not wish it away. Time does that quick enough for us.
As for the recipe. I got it from Matt’s Aunt who found it in a magazine. It’s a long list, which usually I run from. But don’t run, come back. I made it and it came out great. It’s sweet and spicy and super flavorful. I ate it all and never took a picture. So just know its good. And make it. Like a big pot of it.
Sweet Potato & Sausage Soup
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 2 med sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 T olive oil
- 3/4 lb Sweet Italian sausage (I used chicken sausage)
- 3/4 lb Spicy Italian sausage
- 1/2 C chopped celery
- 1/2 C chopped onions
- 2 pints of grape tomatoes
- pepper to taste
- 12-14 sprigs of thyme, stripped, leaves chopped
- 1 T hot paprika ( I used regular)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 cups white hominy, drained- this is like a corn, but I didn’t know what it was at time so added extra beans.
- 2 big handfuls of Kale or Spinach
- 1 can of cannellini beans ( I used 2)
- 4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Melt butter in pan with cinn, nut and salt. Add sweet potatoes, cook 3-4 min, turn and cook 2 min. Set aside.
- Add oil to pan, cook sausage till brown. Add veggies, cook till warm.
- Add remaining seasonings, cook on stove @low-med heat for 6 hours. Can opt for crock pot, low for 6-8 hours.
What are your 2014 Resolutions???
Will You Hike with Me:)???