Hey there friends! I have a delightful recipe to share with you today from one of my favorite food bloggers Juli over at Paleomg.
But first..let’s get technical. I went on a food app downloading party. Well not like a party with balloons and cake, I just downloaded a bunch of apps all at once. I found some to be a waste but I really loved a few of these recipe apps. So I wanted to share them with you. These are great for those who lack creativity in the kitchen (me,me,me!!). Or just for those seeking new recipes, let’s be honest… Pinterest gets a little repetitive. And these apps do half the work for you! Except the cooking. Now that would be an app worth making.
So lets say you have some items at home you need to cook ie: chicken, broccoli, tomatoes. You simply plug them in and wahlah…the Dinner Spinner app matches several recipes that involve those items. You can fine tune your search, opting for or side or stew or under 20 minutes! Its pretty damn cool. Not all are super healthy but its easy to filter out the bad ones.
Here you can plug-in exactly what you are looking for as far as dietary needs( sugar-free, gluten-free etc) You can even plug-in calorie amount (not that we care about calories). This is a great app for our upcoming food challenge!!
This app divides dishes up into a ton of categories: salads, low cal, vegan, high protein etc. So you can surf exactly what you are looking for.
As for the recipe…I made this last week and we ate the entire casserole in 2 days. That is a sign of success. It’s a little time consuming because spaghetti squash is such a beeyatch to cook. To save some time I actually prepared the whole dish in the morning (a Sunday would be good) so all I had to do was pop it in the oven when I got home from class. It is a fantastic left over dish. Cold or hot. I didn’t really change a thing about Juli’s recipe. There never really is a need to!
Ingredients: Serves 3-4
- 1 large spaghetti squash (about 600 grams)
- 1 pound italian sausage
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup pizza sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 eggs, whisked
- optional: shredded mozzarella, topping of choice. I added pepperoni to Mat’s side and a very light layer of cheese.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Then reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.
- Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.
- Add pizza sauce, dried basil and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.
- Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.
- Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.
- Place in oven and bake @350 for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust that doesn’t give when you press on it in the middle of the dish. *Add pepperoni/toppings/cheese about 15 min before done*
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Let me know if you have any cool apps to share!