Well hello and happy September! What a great month to start a challenge. I started mine this week so I could be a bit ahead of you ladies and offer some tips. Let’s focus on snacks.
Finding a “healthy” crunchy substitute is tough. I mean, how healthy are blue corn chips really?? Here is a great way to get your crunch on while keeping the calories away AND satisfying your protein requirments.
Protein Pita Chips
- 1-2 packs of Flax Josephs Pitas-Its important to get this brand, one pita packs 6 grams of protein and only 60 calories.
- 1-2 T olive oil (for 3 pitas)
- *optional-make ’em spicy with Cayenne pepper
- Brush lightly with olive oil, season with cracked pepper and sea salt. You could get super creative with the seasoning here.
- Place in oven at 475 degrees. ~ 5 min
- ***Watch them like your baby on his/her first day home from the hospital. You don’t want these suckers to burn or over cook. It will likely take you a few attempts to get it right. Over cook and they just crack when you cut them (like I did here-still edible though). Cooked just right they will cut nicely with a pizza cutter.
- Bag them and keep on counter to dip in humus, guac or some protein packed Dill Dip (foreshadowing).
Protein Packed Dill Dip
**1 whole pita chip and 1/2 cup this stuff = 17 grams of protein!
Ingredients: 2 servings
- 1 Cup 2% or full fat greet yogurt (taste much better than non-fat)
- Smidge of this delightful dill paste. Depending on how heavy you like your dill.
- 1/3 fresh squeezed lemon
- S&P to taste
- Mix all that ish together.
Light Challenge Prep
Remember, prepping is the key to success! The tip is to make things you like and don’t over do it! Personally, snacks are toughest for me. I need sweet and savory options on the fly. AND PROTEIN. Here’s a few quick ideas to prep to make sure you’re getting all of the above and then some! Here’s what you’re looking at.
- Cucs in vinegar- to eat plain,toss on salads or dip in Dill Dip!
- Vanilla Game Plan Protein with PB2 and cinnamon. All I need to do is add Almond Milk.
- Salad in Jar minus the protein- I usually toss leftover dinner meat on here for lunch.
- Yogurt Parfait-Made with Greek yogurt, raspberries, unsweetened coconut, cinnamon, peanuts. Great sweet snack.
- Dill Dip, Cucs and Chips-Great savory snack
Here’s my past 2 days:
-I use 1 egg, 2 egg whites and 1 cup frozen veg.
Snack: Sausage and Squash
– I baked a bunch of chicken breakfast sausages and roasted butternut squash in a bit of honey, S&P. Then divided it into several potions for a protein snack on the fly.
Lunch: Shrimp Pesto and Zucc Pasta
A neighbor brought me this giant Zucchini from his garden, so I made a ton of noodles with it.
For lunch I pan seared it with spinach, garden tomatoes, capers, lemon, a modest amount of pesto and parm cheese. Topped with 6 shrimp.
Snack: Peanut butter Protein Shake
Snack: Yogurt Parfait
Dinner: 2 Turkey Taco wrap- topped with greek yogurt, guac, corn bean salsa
-I used this left over meat to top a salad jar for lunch the next day.
Hope this helps! Please share your Healthy snack ideas!! Be sure to check out the recipe page for existing meals!!