Hey all! We had a crazy, busy, event packed weekend! I wanted to Thank all my friends and family who made our St. Jude Halloween Walkathon/5k a great success! And to those who volunteered themselves at the super jam packed Whole Foods Event! Thank you, thank you a million times over! Some fun pics from the day.
THE BLOND SQUAD
I am backed up on recipes to share with you folks. So I’m going to start with last nights since it is the freshest on my taste buds (eating left overs for lunch as we speak). I promise I’ll get the Fish Tacos’s posted this week Kell!
I was craving some heat, so I Googled a few recipes for a spicy Gumbo. Man did this turn out good! FYI: If you don’t like hot stuff…don’t make it. You can ad lib and put any type of veggies or even chicken! I stuck with the staple Gumbo ingredients. Just subbed out Andouille for Chicken Sausage. I’m not mad about it. I also eliminated flour, some recipes called for and decreased the chicken stalk to make it a bit healthier.
Crock Pot Chicken Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 large celery stalks, diced
- 4 Okra, sliced
- 1 14oz can of diced or stewed tomatoes ( I used spicy red pepper diced tomatoes)
- 3 large hot Italian chicken sausages (Whole Foods)
- ~30 Large cooked Shrimp
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water ( add throughout)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 T cajun seasonings (or creole)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Louisianan hot sauce
- baby spinach* optional, I had some lying around I needed to use.
- Toss all ingredients except for the Shrimp in Crock pot. I put the sausages in whole. Cook for 8 hours on low.
- About 7 1/2 hours in add shrimp. Break up sausage with a fork.
- Serve over rice of choice. I used the blend below. But you can also skip it all together and add more veggies!
- Feel free to add extra heat to your broth if you need it!
There’s still time to donate to my St. Jude link here;)