Hi all! I have two lovely recipes for you today! These are hearty comfort food meals, but I still wanted to share them with you. Because just like true Italian meals, they are best as cold leftovers! So you can still enjoy them on a warm spring day. (That is, if it ever gets warm again!)
Spaghetti Squash Mock Lasagna
My Mom made mock lasagna all the time growing up. This meal was hands down one of my favorites and solely responsible for my childhood weight problem. So I wanted to recreate it in a healthier version at home. It did not disappoint! Mat even went as far as saying it was his favorite healthy food meal I’ve made. So that is a win!
Ingredients (guesstimate because obvi us Italians don’t use recipes)
- 1 large (or two small) spaghetti squash
- 1 jar of all natural sauce of choice
- 2bs of lean ground turkey
- 1 16oz container of low fat ricotta
- 3 T Italian Seasonings- fresh if possible
- 2 T minced garlic
- 1-3 tsp salt
- 1-3 tsp pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 eggs
- Bake spaghetti squash in oven. Directions here. I did this step in the morning so it was cool and ready to toss together at night.
- Place pan on medium heat, add oil and garlic. Add ground turkey, 2 T Italian seasonings, Sat and pepper to taste.
- Mix ricotta in bowl, add 2 eggs, 1 T Italia seasoning, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix spaghetti squash with jar of pasta sauce and remaining egg.
- Layer spaghetti in bottom of ungreased 8×10 pan. Top with ricotta, then ground turkey and last with another layer of spaghetti squash. Sprinkle fresh grated parm cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Top with extra extra parm cheese and manja manja!
Quinoa Chop Suey Bake
Another popular childhood dish! This has my Mom’s extra secret ingredient. Baked beans! That’s correct! Don’t miss out on them, they make the dish!
Ingredients:(again seasonings are estimate, my rule of thumb is put in a lot, then add a little more:)
- 2 cups quinoa dry
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 jar natural pasta sauce
- 2-3 T Italian seasonings- fresh is always best!
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T garlic
- 1 can baked beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper *optional if you want to make a spicy suey!
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook quinoa per box instruction. I would likely cut to 1 1/2 cups next time. It makes A LOT!
- Brown turkey in pan over medium heat with oil, garlic, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Mix quinoa, jar of sauce, baked beans and turkey in big bowl. I added some zucchini and summer squash I had in fridge as well. Feel free to add veggies or onions! Channel your inner Italian!
- Place in large baking pan. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
I’m positive this is something the hubby and kids will love, so give them a shot!
Be sure to check out our Recipe page for other great health-ified comfort foods!